Friday, July 10, 2009

A New Journey

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments and support on my last post! I am so HAPPY to have such great Bloggy FRIENDS! I took ALL of your comments to heart and am working very hard not to live in fear of the unknown. You can drive yourself crazy when you live in fear and uncertainty, which can lead to over eating and doing other things that aren't healthy. I have to remind myself to concentrate on the NOW. If my husband gets unemployed again...I survived it once, I can do it again!

I'm back to eating healthy again and started last Tuesday. I know that many of you, like myself, can go weeks or even months of exercising and sticking to your food plan. And then a big obstacle hurls itself in front of you, and you end up "falling off the wagon." It gets frustrating because you feel as if you are on that Merry Go Around of dieting again.

I reconnected with one of my old high school friends, who is on Weight Watchers and is doing great. She's a mother of 8 children! Her children range from ages 20 years old to 8 months old and she works full time! I sent her an email and asked her how she was able to lose weight consistently. Here is an excerpt of her email, that I know you will find helpful:

"Do I fail? Yes! More times than I can count and I'll probably continue to fail but I've made up my mind to get up when I "fall", dust myself off and start all over again. What would we do without "new beginnings"??? To know that my one slip-up of having more cake and ice cream the night before does not define the next day for me or the day after and so on, it only means that I need to get back on track. So many times I use to let my failures keep me down, H.K, and I have to force myself to clean the slate and start all over. A new day for me is like a new beginning."

That's it folks! What makes her successful is much more than the exercise or her food plan, it's her ATTITUDE! I believe that's the reason why I often "fail," is that I beat myself up so badly for having one or even two days of over eating, that I continue to eat over the guilt. In order for me to be successful, and to maintain a weight loss, is to realize I WILL be slipping up. I WILL be making mistakes, but the key is to get back on track, and to stop having "guilty" binges. It just makes the situation worse.

I'm going on a new journey. It's a journey where I make commitment to treat myself more kindly. A journey in which I cut myself some slack and realize that perfection does not exist.... at least not in this lifetime. Want to join me?



Food for Thought: "A new day for me is like a new beginning."

H.K's childhood friend

7 comments:

Gigi said...

We're all in the same boat - sometimes smooth sailing, sometimes bailing - but we keep going. Hang in there - you've got more strength than you realize.

Suzanne said...

I'm on board!!!

Patty said...

Boy, did that ever put a smile on my face!! So happy for you!!

Unknown said...

Such a great post! I'm so glad you're feeling better!!! I think we all need to learn this important lesson, and cut ourselves some slack.

Sally said...

I'm with you, sister! It's time to be nicer to ourselves. After all, except for this *weight* thing, we are nearly perfect ;)

InWeighOverMyHead said...

I "started again" on Tuesday too! :) Can I add you to my site?

- Lisa
www.losewithlisa.blogspot.com

kaseybobasey said...

I'm with ya, sister! I love the email exerpt...she hit the nail on the head! :)