Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Road Blocks

If I'm going to lose weight I need to take a good look at myself and find out what my weaknesses are. Here are some of the things that I do that are my roadblocks to weight loss.

1 - Our family LOVES to go out to eat. We go out at least once a week. The problem is that I LOVE FRIED FOOD. So, when I dine out I eat stuff that I would never cook. When I eat Chinese food, it's Orange Chicken (deep fried chicken). When I eat Mexican, it's Chimichangas (deep fried burritos). When I eat American, it's the good ole fried chicken, greasy hamburgers, and french fries. I feel like I'm wasting money buying healthy foods, I know it's insane.

2- When ever I get together with my girl friend's or I'm around company, I never notice HOW much I eat. I'll eat past the point of full. My mouth chatters as my hand keeps shoveling food in my mouth. I feel like the Energizer Bunny, except my battery charger is food!

3. I have to stop comparing my weight loss to others. I belong to a weight loss group and everyone is losing weight steadily, except for me! It has come to the point that I make up excuses for not going to my weigh in. I don't begrudge anyone for their weight loss, it can be very inspiring. But at the same time, it's a reminder that I haven't lost any! I need to get over it.

4. I noticed that when I lose some weight, I go out celebrating by eating. The conversation that I have with myself goes like this, "Wow, H.K. you lost weight! Have a cookie, you deserve it. Don't feel full? Here...have a few more." Crazy right?

5. I keep trying to lose more than 1 lb a week. I want to hurry up and lose weight now. I'm not pacing myself. I tend to go extreme, rather than just cutting a few things out of my diet. I tend to be "it's all or nothing" type person. If I can't go to the gym that day, why bother doing any type of exercise at home. I'll cut out all types of carbs in my diet, and then get really sick in a few days. I'm an extremist and it's not helping.

It's helpful for me to see what my roadblocks are. And I know exactly what it is that I need to do. Just wish me luck that I follow through!

Food for Thought: What are your roadblocks?

5 comments:

Big Girl said...

Those are all really great points. One of my big roadblocks is that I drink a lot, especially when I'm with my friends.

Unknown said...

I have a lot of the same roadblocks as you. I especially suffer from what you refer to as extremism. I call it perfectionism and "black and white" thinking. I'm trying to work my way around it - or learn my way through it as I go.

M said...

I loveeeeeeeeeee this blog and I completely empathize with you! Thank you for your honesty--its helpful knowing others go through the same thing as I do :)

H.K. said...

Big Girl - I have a theory, when we're with our friends we feel really good, so we end up either eating or drinking alot when we're with them. The two things that make us feel really good.

Hopefool- It is perfectionism and I'm one in so many areas in my life! Another Aha Moment! At least we recognize that we need to work on it.

May - I love my blog too! It helps me get all the emotional yuckiness out. And thank you for stopping by! The one thing that I know if I'm not honest, I'll never be able to lose weight.

Crystal said...

I need to create a roadblock list. That would be very helpful. Also, a list as to why I want to lose the weight.

Those are great points H.K. I know you can do it!