Friday, May 27, 2011

A Memorable Mother's Day

The day before Mother's Day we celebrated Moe's birthday. Moe's favorite uncles helped us celebrate his birthday and it was an extremely busy and exhausting week. I didn't want RM to go into any trouble fixing me a big dinner so I told him that I would be happy with just pizza or sandwiches.

As long as I didn't have to prepare or think about dinner preparations- I didn't care what we ate.

When Mother's Day morning came, I have to admit that I was kind of hoping for at least a bouquet of flowers. So when I went downstairs in the morning and saw no flowers, I swallowed my disappointment, and reminded myself that it was no big deal- especially since I told RM and Moe not to make Mother's Day a "big deal".

This time, I'm happy they didn't listen.

We went to church and I did not know that RM and Moe slipped out of church during the second hour of church, and started cooking dinner, and cleaning up the house.

When I came home, I was greeted with this beautiful bouquet and wonderful cards;


RM gave Moe a grocery list and Moe did the grocery shopping at midnight while I was asleep! Moe picked out the flowers, the cards, and chose a card for RM that felt like it really was from RM. They hid the flowers, the cards, and the groceries in our 2nd refrigerator in the garage.

They truly surprised me.

In the card that Moe gave me, he wrote this personal inscription;
"To the world's craziest, funniest, most random, always trying to make me laugh, BEST MOM in the world! I love you with all my heart. Your son, Moe"
(And then he drew a smiling face by his name)

RM made me an amazing dinner. He's a good cook! He knew that I was going to describe the dinner he made for me. so he wanted me to use this description in his own words:

"There were two entree dishes; sauteed shrimp in garlic butter with a hint of lemon zest. Grilled salmon with a light pineapple brown sugar glaze. The pasta dish was Tortellini tossed with a rich pesto sauce and a tasty buttery garlic bread."

Can you tell that RM watches a lot of shows on the Food Network?

(My Mother's Day Gourmet Dinner)

The other day, I was having lunch with my older sister Steph. She has only one son like me. I asked her about her feelings of having one child.

She said, "You know I'll always have that regret that I couldn't have more children." And then she pauses, and looks out to the window where we're seated next to.

She then turns her attention back to me, looks me straight in the eye, and with a smile says, "But out there is a child that calls me Mom. And for that- I am grateful."

I have finally accepted that our family will stay as a family of three- there will be no additions. I've come to peace with that.

And like my sister, I too am grateful that I have a child that calls me- MOM.


2 comments:

Cindy said...

This was sooo sweet! I don't think I could ever dream of this happening around here, but I am sooo glad it happened for you! Moe's description is just right! :)

The Crazy Coxes said...

Your Mother's Day sounds absoultely fabulous!!! And families really do come in all sizes. Three is great!