Thursday, April 22, 2010

The work begins! (part 2)



While most people were sleeping in on a cold, cloudy, Saturday morning- we got up at 5:30 am to work on Moe's Eagle project. I wanted to stay snuggled in my nice warm bed and the only thing that helped me get up was the knowledge that hot chocolate and doughnuts were going to be my breakfast.

We were expecting between 20 to 25 volunteers to show up. So we packed up Gatorade, water bottles, trail mix, chips, and a few dozen doughnuts to keep our volunteers fed, energized, and working.


RM, Moe, and myself arrived at the American River Water Education Center where the trees are planted and set up all the refreshments and registration table.


Moe wheels in the supplies needed to install the drip irrigation system.


Moe & RM goes over last minute plans before the volunteers arrive.


As the volunteers arrive, they register their names, grab a doughnut and ready to work.


We also had some family members who came to help.


Here are some of the trees that will shortly be connected to an irrigation system.


This is the irrigation system that was installed and connected to each tree.


Moe was in charge of this project and here he is giving instructions to one of the volunteers who is also a family friend.


The work also included pulling weeds, trimming shrubs, and cutting the grass. Imagine doing all that work on 3 acres in one day!


The original plan did not include working on this outdoor theater, but at the last minute Moe & RM decided that it was a beautiful structure that should be cleaned. Thankfully the other volunteers agreed and worked another few hours to clear out the weeds & trim the grass around the theater.


After everything was cleaned up & cleared-here's the finished product. (Moe taking a break with a friend)


This is my "hurry up and take the picture or I'm going to come over there and kill you" look.


Here are some of the awesome volunteers.


After five hours of raking, weeding, cutting, connecting drip irrigation system to over 100 trees- the work was completed! All of this would not have been possible if not for the volunteers who showed-all 25 of them! It was a team effort and I'm so proud of Moe for putting this all together!


14 comments:

tiki_lady said...

yeah, he accomplished it and got his Eagle!

Stephanie said...

This is something to be proud of. You guys really worked hard all these years to get to this point and I'm so happy that he (all of you actually!) did it! Way to go Moe!

old world sunflower said...

Hurray for Moe, I love it when our young people take such an initiative and show great qualities in leadership, and I am sure that it helps Moe to have such supportive parents on his side!!! Have a wonderful day!

septembermom said...

You go Moe!! That's great. All of that hard work and dedication is very admirable.

I like your smiling picture. I'm glad to hang out with you here at this new blog address. :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool!! I know you're proud of him :)

Sue said...

I like your new blog spot. It is nice and colorful and easy to read. Great pictures! Thanks for capturing the flavor of Moe's big day!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Very cool Eagle project. It tlooks like he did a great job! Way to go Moe!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Oh - and your new blog is soooo pretty!

Unknown said...

That is amazing! He did an outstanding job. I am so glad he has a family like you.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

WOW...that is amazing and I'm tired just looking at the pictures... I'm going to have to do something like this someday...I have a boy, who is in scouts...sigh.

Ashley said...

I love how Moe wanted to go above and beyond to make it the best it could be, even after you guys had worked all day. That's awesome. You all did a fantastic job. What a great accomplishment!!

Heatherlyn said...

You are right that this blog has a great look! So clean and happy!

You are so busy now! Eagle projects are a BIG deal. End-of-the-year stuff for a senior, too! Wow! I guess it will be pretty quiet for you when he leaves on a mission in a year or so.

Time flies!

wendy said...

HEY, like the new blog idea. I'll make the change on my blog list.
What a great project your son and hubby did.
AWESOME
must be so rewarding.

Sassy said...

What a huge undertaking...he must feel so great for doing it...and the both of you must be so proud of him.......YEAH!!!!!!! Two bits...four bits six bits a dollar.......I'm hollering can you hear me???? CONGRATZ!