Sunday, May 16, 2010

Exercise: I can't afford not to.


My Friday morning started off great. I attended a morning temple session with a good friend and I felt awesome. Unfortunately the good feelings lasted for only a few hours- and my day progressively got worse.

I received a very hurtful email from a woman in my son's scout troop. She holds a key position in the troop and what made her email even more humiliating- she copied all the Scout leaders and the bishopric in our church! She basically accused RM and I as not being cooperative, difficult, and her overall tone in her email was condescending.

I was concerned what people would think of us. Her accusations were so off point and totally inaccurate. I wanted to lash out to her. I couldn't understand why someone could be so vindictive and mean. I wanted to email her back, but the only words that I could type out, were ones laced with anger, and a whole bunch of cuss words! I knew that if I sent the email to her, no matter how justified I felt- I would be the one to look like a jack ass. So instead of sending the email to her- I hit the delete button.

I decided not to respond at all. Instead, I called up my friend that I went to the temple with and...cried. I've been doing a lot of that lately! My friend assured me that everyone who received the email would not believe what she wrote, apparently the nasty scout lady (my nickname for her) has a reputation for being very difficult and she's not a well liked person.

And then RM called and told me he would be home late from work. The early evening that I had planned with him went down the drain- he wasn't going to be able to be home before 11pm.

I have been extremely fortunate that in the past 10 years, we've always been able to make time for each other every week. It's changed since he started his new job and it's been a difficult adjustment for both of us. I am EXTREMELY grateful that he has a job, but it would be so nice to be able to see him every day instead of just the weekends.

RM's phone call that he would be late, the email from the nasty scout lady, and basically everything that has happened in the past several weeks, left me feeling tense. I felt as if I was going to explode! I knew there was only one thing that could rid all my tension- exercise!

Though I was already in my PJ's, I changed into my work out clothes and went to the gym... at 10:15pm! I walked on the treadmill until I reached 3.5 miles and jogged 1 mile of it. (I did my own version of the 5K Stephanie!- goal accomplished!) I was very slow and it took me over an hour to accomplish it, but I did it!

I still wasn't ready to go home, so I continued on to the bike and pedaled for almost an hour. Afterwards, I relaxed in the steam room. By the time I got home it was almost 1am in the morning, I was exhausted. But I felt no tension!

I cannot control people's actions. I can't change RM's job. I can't control what happens to me.

But I can exercise! I can look after my health. I can eat better. And every time I exercise, I ALWAYS feel better! Each time I exercise, my head is clear, and I'm able to look at my problems with a more level head.

Exercising has become my antidote for stress.


Food for Thought: "In times of great stress or adversity, it's always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive."
Lee Iacocca